When I was living across the Atlantic (and even now), the Oscars didn’t seem all that important. In fact, were it not for Facebook I might not have even known the awards show was on. But when I woke the next morning and saw numerous shout-outs to Matthew McConaughey for a brilliant acceptance speech, I had to google it.
I found it with a brief write up on Time.com. Their title, “Explaining Matthew McConaughey’s Confounding Acceptance Speech,” had me a little worried. I thought it might not be all that my FB friends claimed.
My friends were right.
Time.com’s Isaac Guzmán’s title (IMHO) seemed a little snarky (or intentionally dense). But maybe that’s just a way to get readers.
My thoughts on McConaughey’s speech: Wow. Amen. Alright, alright, alright.
After thanking the appropriate people, he said he needs three things:
* Someone to look up to.
* Something to look forward to.
* Someone to chase.
Don’t we all need those things? And I think he put the emphasis in the right places, at least as far as this blog’s philosophy and the call to becoming who we are designed to be. For me, the words are reminders:
* Look up to God. Recognize that without HIM, I am nothing. Life wouldn’t exist. Nor would any good thing in this world. (Acts 17:28)
* Always have something to strive for, a goal to press on toward, a purpose greater than myself. (Philippians 3:14)
* Never stop growing. I must continually challenging myself to love and think and serve and give in bigger and better ways. (Galatians 5:22-23)
You may not be impressed with Matthew McConaughey as a person. You may not like his films. You may know things about him and his past that taint his image in your mind. Fair enough. Even with the Oscar, he’s as imperfect as the rest of us.
What you think about McConaughey isn’t important.
What you choose to do with your life is.
* Who do you look up to?
* What do you look forward to?
* Who or what do you chase?
What are your thoughts about Matthew McConaughey’s acceptance speech? Were there any others that really inspired you? Share your thoughts in the comments below!